Board Meeting Highlights - June 14, 2016
June 15, 2016 - The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, June 14, 2016. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board approved the third quarter financial report for the period ending May 31, 2016. Just over 75.7% of revenues have been collected for the year compared to 75.3% of expenses paid out to date resulting in total year-to-date revenues less expenses at $610,000.
- The Board welcomed a delegation from Spruce Grove Composite High School. It was the Board’s first official opportunity to congratulate Communications Technology Teacher Scott Onuczko who recently won the Prime Minister's Award for Teaching Excellence.
- The Board approved the 2015-2016 Preliminary Budget as presented by Associate Superintendent of Business & Finance Claire Jonsson and Director of Financial Services Jason Krefting. As part of the annual budget cycle, school jurisdictions prepare budgets in the spring then update the budget in the fall based on September 30th enrolments and any new developments in the spring. Parkland School Division has a total budget of $126.9 million dollars to serve the needs of approximately 11,100 students.
- Parkland School Division is projecting an increased enrolment of 353 students over the previous year.
- Total budget revenues for 2016-17 will increase by 2.32% over 2015-16.
- The 2016 - 2017 budget accommodates a provision for an increase in general student enrolment. All other grant allocations remain at the 2015-2016 levels. Base Funding represents 57.6% of the division’s provincial funding and is determined by the number of students enrolled as of September 30th of each school year.
- Parkland School Division will spend approximately $95.1 million dollars on human resources, which is about 75% of the division's budget. The division will employ over 570 full-time equivalent teachers and approximately 400 full-time equivalent support staff in 2016-17.
- The Infrastructure Maintenance and Renewal (IMR) which provides funds for school renovation and facility upgrading projects, has been increased by $1.1 million over 2015 - 2016 amounts.
- The Board approved revisions to Year 2 of Parkland School Division's Three Year Education Plan as presented by Associate Superintendent Scott Johnston. The Board of Trustees, in collaboration with the Senior Executive Team, Lead Team, parents and students, developed a strategic, forward-thinking plan, that includes priorities, strategies and targets using both accountability and assurance measures. The 2015-2018 Education Plan marks a departure from previous combined Annual Education Results Report/Education Plan documents. The plan attends to Parkland School Division's Ultimate Goal of Student Success & Well-being through:
- Two enduring priorities: engagement and resource stewardship
- Four goals: Inclusive Education, Quality Learning, Culture of Wellness & Universal Leadership
The Board received as information the Accountability Pillar Results Report as presented by Associate Superintendent Scott Johnston. Highlights include:
- Parkland School Division staff, students and parents report high levels of satisfaction for quality of education students are receiving in safe and caring learning environments
- 85.2% satisfaction with Safe and Caring measures
- 86.0% satisfaction with the Quality of Education
- 75.4% satisfaction with in-servicing to meet jurisdictional needs o 80.6% satisfaction with access to Inclusive Education
- Parkland School Division achieved growth from the previous year in High School Completion and School Improvement
- The Board received as information the following Department Reports: