Regular Board Meeting Highlights - November 7, 2017
November 7, 2017 - The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, November 7, 2017. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board held its annual Organizational Meeting in addition to the regular Board Meeting. Trustee Eric Cameron was elected Board Chair by acclamation. Ron Heinrichs was elected Vice Chair.
"It is an honour and privilege to, again, be serving Parkland School Division as Board Chair, and to be working with a newly elected Board of Trustees." stated Board Chair Cameron."With Ron Heinrichs as Board Vice-Chair, I am looking forward to working with some existing Trustees and some new Trustees who all have fresh perspectives and an eagerness to work toward our ultimate goal of Student Success and Well-Being. We have a committed group of people as Trustees who believe in the importance of of our Vision and Mission with a focus on community engagement."
"I couldn't be more thrilled to once again act in the position of Vice-Chair for Parkland School Division. I look forward to supporting Chair, Trustee Eric Cameron, working to further the direction of the Board and Division, and ensuring we are making the best decisions for our children and students." stated Heinrichs.
"I am very excited about the fact that the new trustees will bring their fresh ideas and perspectives to Parkland School Division. I am looking forward to continued and expanded collaboration with all of our stakeholders so that Parkland School Division realizes its Ultimate Goal: Success and Well-Being for all students."
- The following committee positions were also chosen:
- Education Committee Chair (Lorraine Stewart)
- Student Advisory Committee Chair (Anne Montgomery)
- Benefit Plan Advisory Committee (Sally Kucher-Johnson)
- Teacher/Board Advisory Committee (Eric Cameron, Ron Heinrichs, Paul McCann)
- Audit Committee (Darlene Clarke,Sally Kucher-Johnson, Lorraine Stewart)
- Advocacy Committee (Committee of the Whole)
- Alberta School Boards Association (Darlene Clarke, Paul McCann, Lorraine Stewart)
- Public School Boards' Association (Sally Kucher-Johnson, Ron Heinrichs, Anne Montgomery)
- Stony Plain Joint-Use Committee (Paul McCann)
- Spruce Grove Joint-Use Committee (Anne Montgomery)
- Alberta Teachers' Association Labour Relations (Eric Cameron, Darlene Clarke, TBD)
- Central Alberta Assocation of Municipal and School Employees Labour Relations (Darlene Clarke, Sally Kucher-Johnson, Ron Heinrichs)
- International Union of Operating Engineers Labour Relations (Eric Cameron, Darlene Clarke, Sally Kucher-Johnson)
- Council of School Councils (Anne Montgomery)
- Teachers' Employer Bargaining Association Representative (Sally Kucher-Johnson)
The Board approved the unaudited Monthly Financial Statement for the period ending August 31, 2017. The auditors are now reviewing the report and the audited report will be presented to the Board at the Regular Board Meeting November 28, 2017. The overall year-to-date surplus is $960,787.
- The Board approved the 2017-2018 Final Budget Report as presented by Director of Financial Services Jason Krefting. As part of the annual budget cycle, school jurisdictions prepare budgets in the spring then updates the budget in the fall based on September 30th enrolments and any new developments. Parkland School Division has a total budget of $127.5 million dollars to serve the needs of approximately 10,968 students. (+155 from 2016-2017)
- Total budget revenues for 2017-18 will increase by 4.24% over 2016-17.
- The Infrastructure Maintenance Renewal (IMR) grant increased by $426,000 over last year's levels.
- As part of the Alberta Teachers Association central bargaining with the province, a $75 million dollar classroom improvement fund has been established. Parkland School Division's allocation of $1.26 million was approved by Alberta Education September 12th and is included in this budget.
- The School Fee Reduction Grant ($745K) and Transportation Fee Reducation Grant ($300K) offset fees that are no longer charged to parents as a result of Bill 1: An Act to Reduce School Fees.
- Parkland School Division will spend approximately $98.4 million dollars on human resources, which is about 74% of the division's budget. The division will employ over 595 full-time equivalent teachers and 443 full-time equivalent support staff in 2017-18.
- Overall the division is budgeting a $607K deficit that will be supported by instructional reserves as a result of prior year carryovers and utilizing administration reserves to support the election and Superintendent search. This results in an estimated Accumulated Surplus from Operations to expense ratio of 3.46%.
The Board received as information the annual Vandalism Report from Facilities Services. The total cost of vandalism for 2016-2017 came in just over $25K dollars which is a 50% decrease compared to the previous year. However, there was a significant increase in vandalism in 2015-2016 so the trend has been flat over several years.
The Board received as information the 2016-2017 Provincial Achievement Tests and Grade 12 Diploma Exam Multi-year Results Report as presented by Associate Superintendent Scott Johnson. The multi-year report provides a five-year statistical overview. Additionally:
The growth or decline (+/-) is provided to show the percentage increase or decrease from the previous year.
The 'gap' from the provincial achievement indicates whether our students achieved at, above, or below the provincial average
Diploma examination results equaled or suprassed the provincial results on:
9 out of 12 Diploma Examinations at the Acceptable Standard, and
3 out of 12 Diploma Examinations at the Standard of Excellence
Although not representative of the entire Grade 12 cohort of learners, the June 2017 Blended Diploma and Course results equaled or surpassed last year's PSD results on:
7 out of 12 Diploma Examinations at the Acceptable Standard, and
5 out of 12 Diploma Examinations at the Standard of Excellence.
Next Regular Board Meeting will be held on November 28, 2017 at the Centre for Education at 6:30pm.