May 31, 2016 (Spruce Grove, AB) - On May 30, 2016, Stony Plain/Spruce Grove/Enoch RCMP were advised that a student was approached by a suspicious male while walking home from school. At approximately 3:10pm, the 9-year-old student was walking east on Brookwood Drive from King Street when they were approached by the suspect male walking west on Brookwood Drive.
The male asked the student, “Do you want to come with me?"
The student did not recognize the man. Eye contact was never made. The suspect wore a black and orange hoodie covering up his head and face.
The male is described as:
- A young adult (possibly 17-25)
- Black hair
- 4'8" - 5'3” Tall
- Slim built
Although the male continued to try and engage the student in a conversation, the youth ignored the male and proceeded to walk home without incident.
RCMP are working together with Parkland School Division and the community. The safety and well-being of all students remains our highest priority and primary concern. Police would like to remind the community to watch out for our children, and report any suspicious activity immediately.
- Advise your children not to talk to strangers
- Remind your children that if they are approached by a stranger to tell a teacher or adult
- Where possible, ensure your child is not walking to or from school alone
- Remind your child to be alert and aware of their surroundings at all times
If you have information, please call the Stony Plain RCMP at 780-968-7200. If you want to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers by phone at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), or by internet at www.tipsubmit.com. You do not have to reveal your identity to Crime Stoppers, and if you provide information to Crime Stoppers that leads to an arrest(s), you may be eligible for a cash reward.
For more information, contact:
Corporal Kim Mueller
Stony Plain / Spruce Grove RCMP
* Released in accordance with the Federal Privacy Act and Regulations, exception 8(2) / * Partagé en conformité avec la Loi Fédérale sur la Protection des Renseignements Personnels et Règlement, exception 8(2)
** Released in accordance with the Federal Privacy Act and Regulations, exception 69(2) / ** Partagé en conformité avec la Loi Fédérale sur la Protection des Renseignements Personnels et Règlement, exception 69(2)