"Literacy is the ability, confidence, and willingness to engage with language to acquire, construct and communicate meaning in all aspects of daily living."
- Alberta Education, 2015
Parkland Village School values literacy. Our goal is to have all children leave our school at or above grade level or working to their maximum potential in the area of Language Arts.
Parkland Village has a highly-trained staff, offering our students a balanced literacy program in which students are taught and supported at the level they are currently working. Students are never bored because the reading or writing challenge is too easy, nor frustrated because the reading material or writing expectation is too difficult. Teachers provide reading and writing opportunities for the various kinds of learners in their classroom, and they differentiate accordingly.
As literacy success is a priority of Parkland Village School, we offer a variety of literacy supports to promote and help ensure success for all.
Literacy supports and strategies include:
- The Alberta Program of Studies in Language Arts and across subjects
- Cross Curricular Competencies
- Balanced Literacy Strategies
- Levelled Literacy Intervention Program
- Stem challenges and project work
- Daily 5
- 6+1 Writing Traits
- Literacy Lead
- School-wide monthly literacy themes centered around comprehension strategies
- Acknowledging students using literacy strategies at school-wide assemblies
- Celebrating growth in literacy levels throughout our school using the Fountas and Pinnell Reading Levels